The Localvolts platform gives you control over who you sell your electricity too and for how much. For example: you might give electricity to your friends and family for free, or you might set a competitive price and offer your power to the entire market.
Create Your First Offer
Selling electricity on the Localvolts market requires sending an offer into the system so other participants can review it and accept it. This is done by performing the following steps:
- Select your generator or generators (if you have more than one)
- Decide how much of your energy you wish to sell by defining a generation time period
- Select who you want to sell to (counter parties)
- Set your prices
- Set a “renewal” (if desired) that will ensure your energy is automatically offered to the market in the future based on the same price structure
Screen 1: General
This screen allows you to define your offer.
- Select my generator(s): The first drop down allows you to select which generator to include (if you have more than one).
- Select my calendar period: Use the date fields to define the time period you wish to sell for. We recommend starting with a short period like a week to test the system. Note: Once an offer is in the market it can quickly be locked into a contract, so you cannot take it back. Be careful about selling too far into the future.
- Select my time of day: This setting allows you to define the time of day for your offer. For example, you may wish to set a specific price offer for energy generated between 6 and 12 in the morning, and then another one for energy generated in the afternoon.
Click the “Next” button to proceed.
Screen 2: Customers
This screen allows you to decide who you want to sell to, or who is allowed to purchase your electricity. In many cases you will leave it as the default “Anyone” but you may wish to make a special offer that is only available to your family or friends. If this is the case, you may set your price very low or even zero in the following pricing screen.
Click the “Next” button when you have selected your target customers.
Screen 3: Pricing
This screen allows you to set price breaks in your offer. The first field (under “Define another price break (%)” at the bottom of the screen, allows you to enter a percentage and a price to identify how much of your offer should be sold at your chosen price.
To define a price break, enter a percentage and a price, and then click the green + button.
The screen above shows that this particular offer has been broken up into blocks of 20% and the prices are spread from 20 c/kWh to 35 c/kWh. The final block of 20% at 40 c/kWh is yet to be inserted. Anything not defined will not be included in the offer. In this case the system will show that 20% will be sold at Spot price until the final price break is entered.
Once you are happy with your offer, click “Next”
Screen 3: Confirm offer
This screen will show you an overview of the offer before it is sent to the market. Check all details and then click “Submit Offer”. Your offer will be sent to the Localvolts market and other participants can then buy your electricity.
The next screen will give you the option to set a renewal for this offer. A renewal is a way to automate your electricity sales by re-sending an identical offer on a renewal cycle you define. (E.g. every 14 days).
The renewal process is very similar to the initial sell process described above.